During this entire vacation I've slept really well, up until last night. That late-afternoon cup of Kona coffee, which tasted so wonderful at the time, probably had a lot to do with that. I had a hard time falling asleep, had weird dreams, and then woke up late. Well, one night out of the whole vacation to not sleep well isn't too bad, all things considered.
So that means that today I didn't want to go on any big adventures. I'd thought about driving to the north end of the island, but the thought of more long hours in the car didn't appeal. Instead, I went back to the quilt store to hang out with the knitters. They had an open-knit group, and crafty people are generally friendly. Their turnout was small, probably due to Easter, but the people were very nice. It was good to sit and chat with people, after spending so much time by myself. I'm pretty good with my own company, but eventually I do need to socialize!
Everyone was fascinated with my Kumihimo. Ironically enough, though, there was a Kumi class at the bead shop right next door at the same time! They were doing the typical beaded bracelet project - a classic beginner. More than one person left that class, came next door to shop at the quilt store, and then stopped to talk to me when they saw what I was doing. Crafting as a spectator sport at its finest! Then I went to shop at the bead store - Da Bead Shop. It's a tiny store, but did have many beautiful items. Not much room to sit and bead other than the busy classroom, so I'm glad I took the time at the quilt shop instead. Good conversation, though.
On the way back from Kailua I stopped at Kealakekua Bay Park. This the bay across from the Captain Cook monument (that small white thing in the middle of the picture, just above the waterline). Apparently, a pod of spinner dolphins lives in this bay, and there's excellent snorkeling right near the monument. But a paddle across the bay didn't appeal.
Then I went a little further down the road to see if I could snorkel at Two-Step. This is right near
Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, which I had visited on April 4th. I thought about snorkeling, but it was high tide. This was another time where I was attempting to find that sweet spot between challenging myself, pushing my boundaries, and doing what's sensible. When I realized that there were absolutely no others in the water, and I'd be swimming alone, common sense prevailed. There's more days to the vacation, and I could come back in the morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment