Today's adventure was the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The park itself is 60 miles away, so I spent a bit more time with the most-random radio, before getting to the park at 10 am. After a quick trip to the visitor's center (nice, but crowded, ugh!) I was off to the Kilauea Iki hike.
 |
| The little gray line is the path across the crater floor. |

This hike takes you down into the Kilauea Iki crater, across the crater floor, and back up again. Amazing!
 |
| That little path is the start across the crater floor. |
 |
| Rift zones and spooky territory. |
 |
| It felt like the moon, if it is possible to feel like such a thing. A very alien landscape, to be sure. |
 |
| The sheer walls of the crater. |
 |
| That's steam from the crater coming up behind me. Yes, it was raining. And cold and windy. But I had fun! |
Then I went through the Thurston Lava Tube. That was actually my least favorite part of the day. I got there right as two tour buses were unloading, so it felt more like a trip through a Disneyland ride (complete with long line, yelling children, etc.) than an actual lava experience. Apparently there's a less-visited lava tube that's only available on guided hikes that's much better.
After that I was so "get me out of here" that I took a wrong turn. Instead of taking the short 1/2 mile hike back to my car, I went the long way around. Yup, 4 1/2 miles instead! I think it was among the most amazing parts of that day. Total hike: 8 1/2 miles.
 |
| The start of the extra hike, through the fern forest. |
 |
| They're hard to see, but it's actually a funny purple fiddlehead fern. |
 |
| A self-portrait, attempting to capture the glee I was feeling being right there at that moment. |
 |
A friendly chicken. Apparently, feral chickens are a big problem in Hawaii. And everyone comes home with a picture of one!
|
 |
Pu‘u Pua‘i, a cinder cone. After the lush vegetation of the forest, hiking across this territory was a bit of a shock. And hot.
|
 |
| The smoke from the Kilauea Caldera. |
I'm very glad, however, that I'd brought extra water and food with me and have completely shucked all inhibitions about peeing in the woods.
After I finished hiking, I went to another wild and beautiful spot - the Hilini Pali Overlook. It's where many of the backpacking trips begin, but by then I was too tired to even think about hiking around.
After relaxing for a while there, I drove down to the end of Chain of Craters road to see the lava glow in the distance, since it had gotten so late. I went to the end of the road and thought about hiking over the lava to see it better, but with no flashlight and a slightly tweaked knee, common sense prevailed. You'll have to imagine the tiny glow of lava in the far distance.
 |
| The end of the road. |
So instead, I went back up to the Jaggar museum overlook and saw the glow from the caldera. That was pretty cool as well.
 |
| More smoke from Kilauea, but the glow from the lava below is visible at night. |
There's more to see at the park - maybe I'll go back while I'm here.
No comments:
Post a Comment