Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hawaii, April 1st, Black Sand and Turtles


My goal for the next part of my day was to swim at a beach, and hopefully see a turtle. Given that I was hiking during the morning, and in Hawaii, this seemed like a logical idea. I'd been warned about swimming at the Green Sands beach, and didn't want to change out of hiking clothes.

Unfortunately, the first park I chose, while lovely, was not suitable for swimming.  I liked the crashing waves, and I can see why it's popular as a picnic spot. http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Parks.whit


So, it was off to the famous black sands beach at Punalu'u. Given that there are only two green sand beaches in the world, and very few black sand beaches, this seemed like a great idea. The beach itself was gorgeous - full of black sand. (Sorry, no pictures by me, but here's a site that has some: http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/beaches/punaluu.html)

The highlight of this beach was seeing my first turtle.


First turtle!
Afterwards, I did try to swim. Unbeknownst to me, the reason the water was so darned cold is due to the underground freshwater springs. Yes, the beach is famous for being full of the coldest water around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punaluu_Beach Ah, well.


No comments:

Post a Comment