Thursday, April 5, 2012
Hawaii - Apr. 2 Snorkeling!
Today's big adventure involved snorkeling! Previous to this, I had not swam in years? Decades? I can't really remember the last time I swam. I know that I didn't during my last trip to Hawaii, so the last time I swam in the ocean may have been during college. You get the idea - it has been awhile.
So first I went off to Miller's Surf Shop: http://www.yelp.com/biz/millers-snorkel-and-surf-holualoa Just like the reviews say - nice people who set me up right. The only thing the reviews don't tell you is that it's a tiny shop in the ground floor of a nondescript condo complex. So getting there was an adventure, but then I was set.
I went off to Kahalu'u Beach Park (http://www.yelp.com/biz/kahaluu-beach-park-kailua-kona-2) - apparently one of the best places to snorkel on the Big Island, or practically anywhere for that matter! Swimming wasn't actually necessary - you could stand around, look down, and see fish! But I did swim and snorkel.
The fish were amazing. It really was like being in a tropical aquarium. The bay is shallow, the fish are pretty tame, and the coral formations are beautiful. There were tons of fish, and I saw a turtle as I was getting out of the water - I had to wait for him to go by! I've decided that I like snorkeling!
I learned that I am not as buoyant as I used to be, so that whole floating thing was tough. I didn't have trouble with the breathing through the mouth thing, nor the claustrophobia that can affect some people. However, I did get a bit of seawater in my mouth and up my nose. And in my ears, of course. I did get some drops to prevent swimmer's ear.
The ocean was a bit chilly, but not freezing. I do understand better why people like to bask on the beach after swimming, though. You need something to warm you up! However, I think I basked a bit too long... yes, I got sunburnt. It wasn't the sunblock's fault - it was me not realizing that I was unable to reach most of the parts of my back revealed by my new swimsuit. I really need to get over that fear of asking strangers for help. There were perfectly nice people on the beach who would have been willing, if I had only asked. I guess that's another downside to traveling alone - no one designated to put sunscreen on my back. Fortunately, I have a shirt to cover me up the next time I go out - it provides both sun protection and is fast-drying fabric. My only doubt is whether to wear the sports bra or go without. But that's a dilemma for another day.
After snorkeling, I wandered about Kailua-Kona for a while. I discovered two bead shops, and bought beads in both. I also discovered two dress shops that had great dresses in them. Neither of these purchases were any great surprise. I was also pleased that I was able to shower off, change clothes, stick on a dress and sandals, and then look quite presentable, even after a morning of snorkeling. My hair got incredibly curly, but since I had no hope of styling it, I think that's a good thing.
I did ask a random stranger to take a picture of me in one of my new dresses.
Then I had dinner at Quinn's Almost-by-the-Sea. A good place, but you can't throw peanut shells on the floor.
Labels:
Beach,
Hawaii,
Snorkeling,
Vacation
Location:
Kailua-Kona, HI, USA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment