Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hawaii, April 4th Rest and Relaxation

Usually, the major activity I accomplish on vacation is reading many books. This time, I've been too busy going on adventures to do so. However, today I decided to stay near the rental and relax. The combo of the tweaked knee and sunburn wasn't conducive to either hiking or snorkeling, so relaxing was a smart idea as well.

Part of the amenities of the rental include fresh macadamia nuts, Kona coffee grown right here, and fresh tropical fruit. I've already taken great advantage of the macadamia nuts - they go great in my trail mix.
Mac nut cracker. Not quite as cute as the one in the ballet. I wonder if these are typical?
The Kona coffee is also lovely. I must confess that I don't have a very educated palate - I can't really tell the difference between Kona coffee and any other. I'm sure someone will tell me. But with enough milk and sugar, all coffee is good to me. Sacrilege, I know!
The coffee that I'm drinking grows right here.
Typically, both coffee and tropical fruit trigger my acid reflux. However, since I  haven't been having many difficulties with it since the diet and weight loss, I decided to try a papaya. I thought I was slicing into a mango until the knife went right through - no pit! The papaya was delicious. I put it into my lunchtime shake for a wonderful treat.


Even with all of this rest and relaxation, I did, manage to visit a park: Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm It's a pretty cool place - a place of refuge. Ancient Hawaiians who broke laws faced certain death unless they were able to flee to a place of refuge. Then all indiscretions were forgiven - no matter what they were.





No comments:

Post a Comment